Digital Writing Project

The digital writing project has gone well. Initially, I was running into issues with finding the right video editor. My original hopes to use Adobe Premiere were dashed since I have a machine running Windows 7 and my copy really only works on XP. I found a trial version of the updated Premiere, on to see a test production have "Adobe Premiere Trial" burned across a produced piece. Finally I came across Pinnacle Studio 14. Good stuff and it provided me with the bells and whistles I wanted.

Next was in finding the images I wanted. It took a lot longer than I expected, and when stitched together, it wasn't as long as I predicted. Also the timing of everything didn't seem to settle in until I recorded the narration and then played with outline of all the media. I also used Power Point as may main storyboard to plan the layout of everything. I would say the only thing I would add or change is live video to mix within the pictures to help keep things moving. It can a nice reflective piece to have a picture show for a little longer, but if too long it feel a little stale.

The most fun I had was with the avitar website and the interactive Youtube portion of the video. It was also great to incorporate a lot of things I've already done with my classroom. In a way, Camp Ranamok exists in room 31 at Highlands Elementary.

Overall, I like the flow of everything and it really captures how I feel about technology. What surprised me, was the amount of work for a little under 5 minutes of video.

2 comments:

  Candance Doerr-Stevens (a.k.a. "dancing stylus")

December 8, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Wow Zack, this piece is provocative not only in terms of the technology (I really like the interactive component at the end of this video), but also in terms of the questions you raise about technology and what influence it has on social interaction in face-to-face settings.

The comments from Swift on isolation are insightful. I'm curious to hear more about how Camp Runamuk uses technology and physical interaction as an adhesive to build and motivate important social practices.

Are you wanting to take this idea on the road?

  Michelle Shaw

January 3, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Zack, this was fun to watch, and I love the way you incorporated Eagle Bluff videos into it at the end. How in the world did you videotape as you were doing the Cherry Picker? From personal experience, I know that the Cherry Picker is tricky even if you don't have anything in your hands. Nice work! We missed you in class. I hope everything is okay.